Friday, May 29, 2015

Barely Hanging On? Maybe It's Time for Some Music . . .

Note: Yes, it's time to renew my long-dormant blog. Watch for regular posts from now on. I welcome your comments. Love, Elizabeth
_____________________________________

Has music played a role in your survival? It certainly has in mine.

Some people give their surgeon an MP3 player and headphones to attach them to during the operation. (The surgeon, of course, is likely to be piping in his own preferred music as he operates.)

Some years ago, while I was still wading through the long recovery period following spinal revision surgery, I wrote the following commentary on the power and importance of music in my healing process.

_________________________________
 
I am watching an indie documentary called Be Here to Love Me: Van Zandt. I never heard of this musician before, but he is/was so good. So good.

Someone talked about being at a folk concert with him when a young woman tore off her blouse. I understood this. I think everyone seeks some kind of spiritual ecstasy. It is not really sex, you know. It has to do with the spirit.

I was lucky enough to catch another documentary last night on one of the HBO channels, having to do with that famous early concert at Big Sur.  I remember when Joan Baez cut her hair like that. At the time she seemed so OLD to me. But in this movie she seemed so very young, so poignantly young. I am really old now. I am not dealing with it very well. But music keeps me alive sometimes.

[I am not terribly educated about music, but the many musicians and singers I love are deeply sustaining to me. Music is medicine, and music is nourishment, and music is prayer. Music is in us and of us and also from far beyond us.] Sometimes I think there is no other God. Sometimes I think music is the way God speaks to us.

I also saw “Walk the Line”last night and again this morning and again this afternoon. I felt so profoundly thankful that those two people lived on this earth. I remember how Lars [not his real name; the Swedish MBA candidate who lived across the hall in college] used to come over to watch Johnny Cash on my roommate's TV while he downed a fifth of Scotch. He was a lousy guy, a real womanizer with no conscience, but everything that was nonetheless fine and good in him came out as he got drunk and wept over Johnny Cash, and how Johnny Cash went to Folsom and San Quentin, and how Johnny Cash suffered in jail himself.

And I am so spiritually engaged with June as well. All her music came from the hymnal. I have one of her disks, and it is raw and in some ways hard to listen to, straight from the backwoods and the little church -- both dimly present yet somehow softening and receding behind the power and singularity of her voice. [To quote from the hymnal, "And the things of earth will grow strangely dim/In the light of (Her) glory and grace."] I can see her long, Southern-backwoods-girl hair, and her lined and wise face which had known so much pain. She wrote a book once -- if only I had saved it. I think it is long out of print. It was poetry that grew from her own deep suffering and transcendence. Maybe it was lyrics. It was Something, I would love to have that book now. Maybe I will try to find it online at some out-of-print-books place.

Do you know what else came from the hymnal? Some of the most powerful of the songs at the countercultural Big Sur concert -- the African American music. It was astounding, seeing these grand, deep black women full of conviction, belting out their songs about Jesus while "little Joan Cisneros" tried in her way to keep up, with some uncharacteristic hesitance and awkwardness. And seeing that whole assembly of out-of-their-heads acidheads moving to the music about Jesus. Watching the concert at Big Sur, I began to wonder if the whole hippie movement might really have been about deep, deep spirit and Jesus and God, even though all those unwashed beards repulsed me when I was a student on the periphery of that movement.. There was something awesome and profoundly good about that whole counterculture, even though it landed people in ERs and psych units and morgues, their brains fried forever. They were trying so hard, they were straining in their laid back way to get home to whoever or whatever was their Jesus. They -- we -- could have healed the world. But we were not young enough for long enough to do that. We changed the world a little. We set the healing process in motion before moving on, growing up.

Life may sometimes suck now, but that is not wholly our fault.  And I think we need not despair. Is this the Pollyanna in me? I simply refuse to despair. I totally, absolutely, forever refuse. That is not what life is about. That is not why someone put us on this tiny planet in this miniature galaxy, that is not why we were borne out of the black hole. There has to be some reason we seek God and make music. There has to be something better and finer than we usually manage to be.

This Towne was nurturing, generous, tortured, all at the same time, in the same person. It is said that people wrote to him to thank him for saving their lives, for bringing them back from the brink.

Visual art can be tremendously moving. And the written word  can be fine and powerful and healing. But this drunken man, so eaten with his own destruction, hanging on to his dear (male) friend physically, in his arms (his buddy was not gay, apparently, just emotionally devastated) night after night -- he saved lives. I believe it.

Judaism, or at least mystical Judaism, teaches that a person may be put on this earth for only one minuscule purpose:  -- a single word he is meant to say to a specific other person maybe sixty years down the road.

I don't pretend to know why some are put on this earth to write music that saves many lives.

But I think just maybe they are God's true angels. Her lost, drunken, drugged, tormented, soulful, salvific angels, leading us all toward Light after all.

No comments: