Tuesday, October 30, 2012

[Artsy Interests?] A Rare Rave Review

I don't know when I've waxed so enthusiastic about a product  I reviewed for anyone. (I don't write too many reviews, and the ones I do write are mostly for Amazon.)  This is a quick review I just posted at Jerry's Arterama regarding an itty-bitty bottle of something called Schmincke gold powder.

(Note: I don't know how some of my praise got classified as "Cons." Everything I have to say is a "Pro,"with the exception of the brief health and safety hypothetical.)

Not my usual blog post, but what can I say? If you are an artist, and if you ever use metallics, you will love this stuff. It's magic.

By Poetryperson from Chicago, IL on 10/30/2012
Your Rating: 5 stars
Headline: Definitely "Unparalleled"

Pros : Unique Gilding Medium, Dazzling, Great On Painted Tyvek, Fun, Creative, Unique
Cons : Small Amount Really Lasts, Reasonably priced
Best Uses : Greeting cards, Decoupage, Mixed-media Work, Paintings In Any Medium, Holiday Ornaments, Collage, Art
Describe Yourself : Artist
Primary use : Personal
Was this a gift? : No

This is an extraordinary product. I decided to try it after coming across a casual reference to it in an artists' publication. I ordered the "rich gold" and now plan to try the other hues as well. In my experience, this fine-particled powder is unsurpassed in adding indescribably brilliant metallic highlights or accents to any item painted with watercolors or acrylics. (I expect most artists will find it optimally effective when used judiciously; a petite bottle goes a long way.) So far I have used it in jewelry-making and mixed-media work, particularly when incorporating Tyvek. Just one caution: All of the labeling is in German, which I do not read -- so I am just guessing that one should exercise the usual caution accompanying any potentially "inhalable" powdered pigment. (It might not be the safest bet for use in artwork with young chldren.) Otherwise, I can not say enough good things about this surprising and novel product. I very seldom write a rave review of anything, but when I first dropped a few grains of Schmincke's  into a small spritz of clean distilled water on the surface of an acryolic painting, then watched it "blossom" into figurative fireworks, the effect -- which was one of clarity and refinement; no tacky, glitzy, bling-y stuff here -- totally blew me away!

No comments: